Jan 2, 2011

A Fresh Start

Happy New Year!  Here's to a New Year of New Beginnings!  As much as I enjoy the holiday season, I am so glad the festivities are over.  It is so challenging to keep on track with everything with all the Christmas parties, special lunches, goodies and what not.  Not to mention getting in your regular workouts!  Now that all of that is over it's time to refocus on my goal.  I have lots of things lined up for the new year to help me and hopefully others do just that!

The Kinda Good, Not So Bad, and the Down Right Ugly
Christmas 2009 was a huge lesson learned.  I got a little confident about my weight loss and decided to make all KINDS of goodies for everyone.. mainly meaning me. That year I gained 10 pounds in a two week period.  I felt AWFUL!  Not only did I feel sluggish and bloated for days because of all of the junk, but I couldn't stop eating it!  It was like being on a bad ride!  This year I came into it with that lesson learned and vowed to not do anything like that again!  I did pretty good with keeping on track as long as working lunches, Christmas parties or emotional eating wasn't involved. L O L!  One good side of my former job was that we didn't have a whole lot of person to person interaction.. most of my relationships with work were by phone or email.  I didn't have to worry about goodies passing through my office.. THANK YOU BABY JESUS.. nor did I have to attend company Christmas parties.  So.. it wasn't a COMPLETE disaster.  Many times when I was out I would try for the better choices.. but then there were times when I'd have dinner and think that I'd just go ahead and enjoy the food.. which is fine, but I saw this pattern where it was starting to happen more and more.  That's me and my constant battle.  If I'm not careful it can sooo easily get out of hand.  Yes, my life has changed tremendously.. Yes, I make better choices.. and Yes, it's still something I'll have to deal with forever and ever, Amen.  There's no switch.  The temptations I had before are still tempting to me now.  I've learned tricks and tips on how to control my temptations and how to not give in.  I have also learned a hard lesson of how much it takes to get it all off.  There's no magic pill.. I'm still me. 

I Have This Cake and I Will Eat It, Too
While holiday festivities can be fun, it can also bring on an array of emotions from one end of the spectrum to the other.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.. "Hi.. I'm Tina and I'm an emotional eater".  When I'm happy, I want something fun and festive.. margarita's even!  When I'm sad, I want comfort food.. and chocolate. ;)  If I'm stressed, I'll grab anything I can find.  When I'm pissed, I want something crunchy.  See how I even analyze my food cravings!? LOL! Well.. long, emotional story short.. I was left with a whole German chocolate cake.  This just SCREAMS danger!  I wish I were like my kids.. I'll cut them a piece of cake.. they'll take like 2 bites and then they're done.  Isn't that just special.  Me.. I'm like licking the plate to make sure I got every bit of chocolate icing there is to get.  Oh.. and then there's the whole "I don't need a plate because I'm just gonna take a bite or 12" thing. Does any of this sound familiar?  I finally had to dump half the damn cake in the trash.  Isn't it awful that my kids don't get to enjoy these things because I just can't deal with it?  Well.. tough. :)  I know what works for me and what doesn't.  If I'm truly having a craving.. different from temptation.. that is one thing.  But the temptation of just seeing it out on the counter or smelling the sweet, sugary, chocolaty, goodness is a whole different story.  If I could just muster up the 'courage' to walk away from it and leave it there.. then all would be well.  But it is difficult for me.  It's best to just not have it in the house. PERIOD.  So.. in the trash it went.. upside down.. smashed.. get it. :)  Aaaaaaanywho.. moving right along..


On Your Mark.. Get Set.. GOOOOOO!!!!
Well, I'm off and running on my new career.  Yay!  I'll spare you on how flippin excited I am because I know you all haven't heard it near enough. ;) This new year not only brings on a new career for me, but new challenges, as well!  I'm going to be participating in a Warrior Dash and a relay marathon.  What is a Warrior Dash you ask?  It's kind of like a 5k, but it's more than running.. it's an awesomely muddy and uncomfortable obstacle course! It's gonna be GREAT!  I'll admit I was a little intimidated at first.. I mean, these people just look so athletic!  But after a little encouraging I decided to just go for it.  It doesn't matter if I finish last as long as I finish. I will also be apart of a running group who will be running the relay in The Gusher this year.  This is also a new challenge.  I can do a 5k.. I've met that goal and feel so accomplished!  But by being apart of this team, it means that I have to run 5.25 miles.  That's a couple miles longer than a 5K (3.1 miles).  I'm a little nervous about it.. but it will be great to be apart of a team!  I'm telling you.. never in my WILDEST dreams did I ever think I'd be doing any of this with my life!  It is a very, very awesome feeling.

The End of Chapter YR 2010 - Most Frustrating Year EVAR
I've gone back and read my ups and downs over the last year.  It's not been easy.. in fact, it was pretty freakin frustrating at times.  My weight on the scales doesn't seem to be moving in either direction significantly, but my body is still ever changing.  I've ditched the "weight" goal and have gone for more of a fit goal.  Meaning..   that HALLELUJAH.. I am FINALLY comfortable in my own skin!  Sure.. we can all find things we'd like to fix and work on.  And you won't be catching me in a bikini ANYTIME soon.. but I am happy with me.  I think for the first time ever, I'm truly ok with what I see in the mirror.  Not just ok.. but excited!  I love the woman I see before me, no matter what anyone else thinks.  Besides.. it was never about them anyway.  So.. here's to a happy, healthy, fit new year!  I hope you, too can be happy in your own skin.  If you're not.. what are ya gonna do about it? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment